Slow Cooker Turkey w/ Herbs & White Rice
Serves: 8 | Prep Time: 30 Minutes | Cooking Time: 8 Hours
- 1 whole turkey, 5 lbs.
- 1 medium yellow onion, cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 5 to 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ inch ginger, peeled & grated
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 2 green chilis, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp dried coriander seeds
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 1 rosemary stem
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 10 oz turkey gravy
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and soaked
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt, as needed
- Black pepper, as needed
- Add turkey to slow cooker, then add salt, black pepper, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, oregano, sage, rosemary stem, ginger, coriander seeds, garlic mince and turkey gravy. Cover the lid and cook on low for 8 hours.
- 30 minutes before tcook time is done, heat oil in a pan and add onion, saute for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent. Then add green bell pepper, mushrooms, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and sugar. Again saute for 2 to 3 more minutes. Finally, add vinegar and remove from heat.
- Bring to a boil 2 cups of water in a saucepan and add rice. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes or until done.
- Uncover the slow cooker, turn off and let turkey cool for about 10 minutes. Slice turkey and place atop of rice, then add prepared onion and mushroom mixture.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and green chilis! Enjoy!