Healthy "Tater" Tots? Yes way Jose!
You will never believe that this recipe was made from broccoli instead of potatoes! What a great twist on an American favorite! Thanks to my good friend Katie for introducing these to me and now I'm in love! She has offered to share her amazing photos which are sure to entice you to cook these little suckers and the tasty recipe that goes along with it! I knew I kept her around for a reason! Thanks Katie! ;)
Healthy Baked Broccoli Tots
Serves: 20 tots
EDIT: Readers have noted that 1 teaspoon is too much salt. If you are using table salt, only use ½ tsp or to taste!
- 2 cups or 12 oz uncooked or frozen broccoli
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- ⅓ cup cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp parsley (or cilantro, or rosemary)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet with a thin layer of oil or line with parchment paper and set aside.
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute then remove and shock with cold tap water to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
- Chop broccoli finely and mix thoroughly with the egg, onions, cheddar, breadcrumbs, and seasoning. Scoop about 1.5 tablespoons of mix using a ice-cream scoop or your hands and gently press between your hands into a firm ball then shape into a tater-tot shape. It helps to wash your hands after every few tots to keep them from sticking onto your hands. Next, Place on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, 18-24 minutes, turning half way. Remove from the oven and enjoy hot with ketchup, sriracha, ranch dressing, or your favorite dipping sauce!
Recipe by Gimme Delicious