1 day before: make the brine and start to marinade the chicken as soon as you can, 1 day to 12 hours ahead. You may also freeze the unused brine for future recipes.
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
5 leaves sage
2 breasts chicken, sliced into tenders
1/4 small onion diced
2 inches thick mozzarella, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced, 2 sliced
1/2 small jalapeno
1/2 gallon water
Gallon sized zip lock bag
1 tsp paprika
- Bring the sugar, salt and water to a boil in a non-reactive pot. (so avoid copper, aluminum, etc. ) Add crushed sage and onion, put in the fridge to cool.
- Place chicken tenders and brine into a gallon sized zip-loc bag and place back in the refrigerator. Brine for a minimum of 45 min. (if you choose to pre-make this it can soak all day)
- Preheat grill at this time, you can also use a George Foreman or skillet if a grill isn't available.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Make a thin slice in the center of each tender and stuff with cheese, a few peppers and a couple of slivers of garlic within.
- Combine the ingredients for the rub. Sprinkle the tenders with the dry rub.
- Place the tenders on the grill, cook for about 15 min. depending on the thickness of the tenders.
BLUE CHEESE VEGGIE BURGER
with Mushrooms & Avocado (Serves 2)
- 6 Leaves of Lettuce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 Cup of Mushrooms
- 1 oz of Bleu Cheese or Crumbles
- 1 Avocado
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Place one hamburger bun torn into pieces in a food processor; process 4 times or until crumbs measure about 1 cup. Transfer to a bowl.
- Combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, and beans in processor; pulse 8 times or until beans make a thick paste. Scrape bean mixture into bowl with breadcrumbs. Stir in rind and remaining ingredients. With moistened hands, divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions (about 1/3 cup mixture per portion), shaping each into a 3-inch patty.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. I am a big fan of non-stick ceramic pans. Add patties to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until bottom edges are browned. Carefully turn patties over and add sliced mushrooms. Cook 3 minutes or until bottom edges are done.
- Toast buns and slice the avocado. A 'less-mess' trick is to slice the avocado in half, then slice the avocado meat in pieces while it's in the shell before you scoop it out.
- Plate with lettuce first, then mushrooms, blue cheese and avocado. As with all good foods, add a small dose of Sri-Racha.
Guest Food Blogger Evan, a notorious foodie and accomplished entrepreneur, was elated to guest blog and provide us a tasty new spin on the Blue Cheese Veggie Burger.
For many years Evan has enjoyed cooking hearty meals and one of his favorites is the timeless American burger. This blue cheese burger recipe has one spicy touch, Sri-Racha, which makes everything better!
Good nutrition should be a simple, cut and dry subject with clear guidelines that makes it easy to practice. It is now difficult at times to sift through what you should be eating. The inaccuracies in the information provided can be quite overwhelming and confusing. The following article will show you the simple facts on what you should know about nutrition and how to work it into your everyday life.
Salad is widely known as a health food, however its benefits are often completely negated by calorie-laden dressings. These dressings are very high in fat, as well as lacking in nutrients. Instead, choose a vinaigrette dressing or make your own with vinegar and olive oil. Walnuts or cranberries are also a tasty and nutritious addition to any salad.
A morning, protein smoothie, is a great way to start the day. Add yogurt, banana, flax seed and frozen berries, to give yourself a well balanced morning start. This shake will keep you full and give you energy until lunch time. Just make sure not to add any extra sugar or sweeteners.
When selecting food for the best nutrition, choose items as similar to their original state as you can. Unprocessed, fresh food is the ideal way to make sure that all your nutritional needs are met while reducing chemicals and unwanted fats.
Try to include organic foods as part of your nutritional diet. Organic foods are grown free of pesticides, hormones, and chemicals that can potentially cause problems in your body. Organic foods are also known to contain more nutrients and vitamins then their non-organic counterparts. In addition, organic foods often taste better.